Friday, December 13, 2013

Fix the Balcony Doors!

I was so happy with my balcony doors, until I tried to open them after I added the balcony railings ... and they wouldn't open all the way. It was then that I realized that the balcony doors have to swing inwards, and not out!

So I had to take off the doors and the side jambs. The hinges came off in the process, but it was nothing SuperGlue couldn't fix.

Once the doors came off, it was quick work to pry off the inside jambs using my Xacto knife.

Then I glued the inside jambs outside, and the outside jambs with the hinged doors inside. It was considerably difficult to align the doors this time, since I had limited space inside the room to maneuver my hands as I worked.

But at least, the doors open all the way now!

However, I am not sure if I can manage fixing the front balcony doors. If I want to do so, I will have to work through the opening of the second floor bay-window.

LESSON LEARNED: the balcony doors must swing in, not out :(

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Lighted Aquarium

Ever since I saw it on eBay, I have always wanted a lighted aquarium for my dollhouse ... but at around $25, I never quite bought one. But last year, I got lucky and won it at auction for $10 (with shipping)!!!

The only catch: when it arrived, I saw the wire did not have a plug attached to it. So I could not plug it into the electrical outlet in my dollhouse.

Last week, I finally did something about it. When I soldered the lamps in my dollhouse, I had kept aside the male plugs they came with. I took one of those plugs, pried out the pins using nose pliers, stuck in the exposed wire ends from the aquarium, and pushed the pins back in place. And now, my aquarium works! Look at the happy little fishies :)