The first floor front section is complete. I tested the chandeliers by sticking the ends of the wire in a small 3 Volt battery box. I was afraid that the connection might have broken or something, but at least these two are fine for now! I am putting in floor and ceiling molding to hide the edges. However, you might have seen that where the walls meet vertically, especially in the bay window area, there is a noticeable gap. I am hoping it will become less obvious when I seal the edges from outside. And finally, the curtains I put in will cover the edges anyway.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
I love the frames! I wish I could afford the working windows, but ... Oh Well! A few of the inner walls (2nd and 3rd floor) are yet to be papered. I had bought 4 yards of fabric: just to be on the safe side. I bought upholstery-grade fabric, which was more expensive than regular cotton; but I was really looking for something with a slight sheen, and cotton was just not doing it!
Posted by Sumaiya Mehreen at 12:00 AM
Monday, November 12, 2007
I couldn't believe my eyes when I tried to dry fit the walls on Saturday! As soon as I reached step 2 of wall assembly, I hit a major snag. Apparently, the diagram of the left wall (on sheet 11) was labeled incorrectly. As a result, there was a strip of exposed slots right under the ceiling.
So I had to redo the first floor wallpaper as well as fix the bottom part of the second floor. Note to self: contact Greenleaf and ask them to make the changes on their diagrams!
Some valuable tips I learned from this quandary:
- Do not paste the entire fabric to the wall if possible. Glue only along edges, so that if and when you need to pull out the fabric, it is easier to remove.
- Dry fit the parts before wallpapering to make sure the schematics are correct.
- Buy extra fabric ~ because chances are, mistakes will happen!
Posted by Sumaiya Mehreen at 10:58 PM